ARCISS is a membership organisation for research centres in the UK committed to rigorous social science research.
ARCISS supports the work of its members by
- organising seminars, workshops and conferences - recent events have covered research ethics, human resource management in research centres and changes to research council support for university research
- campaigning and representing their interests with government agencies and research funders - in recent years ARCISS made submissions to the Office of Science and Technology on the sustainability of university research, to the Higher Education Funding Council on the RAE and its review of research funding and to the Economic and Social Research Council on its thematic priorities
- developing good practice in the management of research centres - currently ARCISS is examining its members experience of contract research staff and developing a new project and identifying emerging practice for staff with fixed term contracts
- facilitating networking for the exchange of information, experience and advice through the ARCISS mailbase and its Directory of member organisations.
- running an annual state of the sector survey which will provide a barometer of the health of the UK social science research sector.
ARCISS office holders:
Mark Elliot, Centre for Census and Survey Research, University of Manchester, Bridgeford St, Manchester, M13 9PL
Alison Park, NatCen Social Research, 35 Northampton Square, London EC1V 0AX
Gill Clisham, National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) 2 Dean Trench Street, Smith Square London, SW1P 3HE United Kingdom
Enquiries, invoices and payments for ARCISS should be addressed to Gill Clisham, ARCISS, c/o NIESR,
2 Dean Trench St, Smith Square, London, SW1P 3HE
phone: 020 7222 7665
Next ARCISS Workshop
What is Research Impact and What Does it Mean for Your Organisation?
4h July 2013
To Book Click Here
The Mid-Career Stage: Experienced Researchers and their Development Options
Date to be confirmed. We are taking registrations in advance which will only be invoiced once the date has been confirmed.